Webinar on ‘The Research Landscape’
HEPI, in conjunction with Elsevier, is delighted to invite you to a webinar on ‘The Research Landscape’, on Tuesday 20 October at 9.45am to 12pm
This free half-day webinar, which includes a keynote address from Amanda Solloway, the Minister for Science, Research and Innovation, will focus on the research landscape in, and after, the pandemic. Looking ahead to the spending review, it will also include a presentation of some new findings about research during the pandemic along with a panel of experts discussing what the 2.4% target should mean for research afterward the crisis. The full programme can be viewed below.
To register your place, please go to:
After registration, you will be sent details on how to join the webinar.
- 09.45am Introductory remarks from Kumsal Bayazit, Chief Executive Officer of Elsevier
- 10.00am Ministerial Keynote Address by Amanda Solloway, the Minister for Science, Research and Innovation
- 10.15am Q&A with the Minister
- 10.25am ‘The Political Environment around Research’ by Jonathan Simons, Director of Public First
- 10.35am Q&A with Jonathan Simons
- 10.45am Presentation on Elsevier’s research on the UK research base in the pandemic, by Lesley Thompson, Vice President, Academic & Government Strategic Alliance at Elsevier
- 11.00am Q&A on Elsevier’s research
- 11.10am Panel on ‘What should the 2.4% target mean for research priorities after the pandemic?’
- How will the coming global and UK recession affect spending on research?
- What priorities should there be for distributing new research spending – should levelling up trump excellence?
- How can international collaboration be encouraged when there are less porous boundaries as a result of Brexit, travel restrictions and financial challenges?
The panel will include:
- Professor Colete Fagan, Vice-President for Research at the University of Manchester;
- Professor Tim Softley FRS, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer at the University of Birmingham; and
- Professor Paul Boyle, Vice-Chancellor of Swansea University